Thursday, February 4, 2010

DD#22: PNP

Progress not perfection. Those are the words of wisdom that give me a chance to make mistakes and learn from them and move on. That nurturing phrase releases me from my well developed inner critic who says "if you can't do it perfectly, don't do it at all" or "why did you do (say)that you idiot" - that voice in my head that tells me I'm not enough.

I've written about the fine line that's created by my all or nothing thinking - it's like walking a tightrope where I'm balanced precariously just waiting for a little breeze to send me into the free-fall of my reaction mode. I've been working on the difference between reacting and responding and am always guaranteed another opportunity to practice my newly developed skill. Reactions are fear-based - from my intellect - ego driven. Responses are faith-based - from my heart - my spiritual connection.

Every time I encounter an occasion to practice responding I can take a breath and remember that in my recovery I strengthen my spiritual connection with love. Progress not perfection widens my path of recovery - it removes me from the tightrope and gives me so much more latitude to take small diversions to explore amazing new areas of my life where I can mistakes, laugh, learn and move on and that lets me get better at other things. More will be revealed and I can't wait! Oh, wait - that was a reaction, my response to this wider path is GRATITUDE...

No comments:

Post a Comment