Monday, July 20, 2009

The "M" word...

Ever a black and white thinker and doer, the "M" word, "M"oderation is like a foreign language to me. I can recite many old maxims about "M"oderation: "progress, not perfection", "easy does it", "a journey of a 1000 miles begins with a single step", etc., but actually living them seems like dwelling in a foreign land with customs that are completely unfamiliar to me. Like learning anything new, it takes practice (which puts the "M" word to work) but I'm hard pressed to step out of the notion that I want it all and I want it now!
A friend shared something with me once. She said she stopped asking for patience because she didn't want any more situations that required her to learn patience. If she asked for patience, The Universe would continue to give her opportunities that would require her to BE patient and she was sick of it.
That's a little how I feel about the "M" word right now. "M"oderation is not the adrenaline rush of High or Low. It's that boring place in between. It's new territory and needs to be explored. "M"oderation requires me to practice principles like, enough, some, a little, partial - such challenges to my feelings of ALL, NOW, NO, MORE/MORE/MORE! You see, I can say "NO", but I'm challenged about saying "no more - enough".
Today I'm practicing "M"oderation: enough is just right - who needs ALL or NOTHING? Certainly not me. Today I will do what's on my list of things to do, keep my committments to myself and others and give up the struggle. I'm defining "M"oderation as: no more wrestling with HP over who's in charge...

No comments:

Post a Comment